I am writing a book based on fieldwork undertaken from 1996 to 2000 on “An Ethnographic Study of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa and the Role of Youth” I am involved in the SSRC and UNO Research Project on Children in Armed Conflict that has just secured two major grants. With Lori Leonard and Veena Das, I am working with adolescent girls who have HIV in a four city project. I continue to work with ex-activists in the Western Cape. With Routledge Press I am negotiating a possible series on Childhood.
- Violence and Subjectivity. 2000. Veena Das, Arthur Kleinman, Mamphela Ramphele and Pamela Reynolds, eds. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Remaking a World: Violence, Socila Suffering and Recovery.2001.Veena Das, Arthur Kleinman, Margaret Lock, Mamphele Ramphele and Pamela Reynolds, eds. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Traditional Healers and Childhood in Zimbabwe, 1996. Ohio: Ohio University Press.
- Dance Civet Cat. Child Labour in the Zambezi Valley. London: 1991 ZED (with Ohio University Press and Baobab Publications).
- Lwaano Lwanyika. The Tonga Book of the Earth (with Colleen Cousins). 1991 Harare: C Cousins. Received the Noma Award with Honourable Mention. Two editions published: one in English and one in Tonga. Republished by the International African Institute and PANOS in 1993 for world-wide distribution.
- Childhood in Crossroads. Cognition and Society in South Africa. 1989 Cape Town: David Philip (with W. B. Eerdmans).
- Growing Up in a Divided Society: The Contexts of Childhood in South Africa (edited with Sandra Burman). 1986 Johannesburg: Ravan Press. Re-issued in hardback and paperback by Northwestern University Press (with a new Preface by Robert Coles), 1990.